Thursday, February 7, 2013

Wow. It's been a while hasn't it?  What I've learned from having a blog is that I am not as interested in writing about my life and family and times as I am in reading about others. I sometimes feel like I don't have enough to say, or whatever I have to say has already been said in so many eloquent and witty ways. But in the end these are just excuses for being inconsistent and tired. Sorry. I'll do better.
So, this last few months have been fun. So fun I haven't even put all my Christmas stuff away yet. But it's all collected into the living room though (I'm not THAT lazy). I've been procrastinating because it's too stinking cold in there to pack everything up and because I have a cute little baby


 that is much more fun to hang out with and snuggle than it is to put junk away we're just gonna take out again in ...a mere....10 mos. -  right???
Anyway, I had a friend request that I do a blog post about raw milk or as we like to call it "REAL milk".
I will address that with photos and links but not expound too much because much has been said already about the stuff and better than I could as well.  So here goes - raw milk, we drank it as kids and liked it but then stopped later when the evil food police convinced my mom and everyone else  that fat was bad for us.


So our family switched to non fat ( blech). I finally convinced my mom to buy at least 2 % milk because I never liked the watery blue stuff called non fat. After I was married and had my own household I really rebelled and started buying whole milk. YIKES! We're gonna die for sure! I'm kidding but in seriousness, it's like for years my body was craving the primal good fats that sustain us and when I started drinking whole milk again I could feel my body absorb all those good fats and vitamins and say "Ahhhh! thanks!"  Turns out we need those good fats to get our fat soluble vitamins like, D and E! On my quest to find perfect milk a found a dairy that delivered to my door and the milk was not homogenized ( fat cells broken down to stay mixed in), but still pasteurized. This was up to that point, the most beautiful milk I had seen in a long, loooong time with a thick head of cream on top!  We drank that for several years and then, we met our friend Dr. Pooley, who has changed our lives in SO many ways we aren't even the same family we were 5 years ago. We have learned about healthy fats, healthy, wise, nutritionally dense foods and also how important the entire endocrine system is to our heath and well being. And somehow, somewhere in there, we acquired a cute little calf from him ...Little Cow. This is not her as a calf but her with HER baby last May. Time flew by and soon we had a mommie cow and baby.  Time to git milking!  Now, we are total novices to all of this and do NOT know what were doing. But my husband is a champ and definitely NOT a quitter so, he learned all about milking and now he milks in the am and Cliff,
 our oldest son at home now, does the evening milking. I'm so amazed and proud of him. These kids did not grow up on a farm, so this is really a miracle! Anyway now I know what really beautiful milk is...it's this stuff!  ...and it is SO. GOOD.  If you want to know more about why we drink raw milk besides that it tastes like ice cream,
you can start here.. http://www.realmilk.com/
....
or here...http://www.westonaprice.org/
Here are a few things that have changed since we have switched over...
1. Everyone in our family that will actually drink milk stay healthier throughout the year.
2. Moroni drinks and LIKES milk for the first time ever. He grew up hating milk!
3. I no longer get a stomach ache from milk.
4.. Because of switching to real milk and cod liver oil supplements and Do terra oils, my family is rarely sick, never for long and haven't had to see a Dr. for illness in years. THAT's a miracle. I remember entire winters spent in a Dr. office waiting room and at the pharmacy. SO glad that's over!
5. When my daughter drinks more real milk she has less asthma.
6. I drank real milk my whole last pregnancy and when the Dr. did the last ultrasound at 7 mos. just before Stella was born, the Dr. stood back from the screen and said "What have you been doing???" "Those are the densest bones I've ever seen on a baby of this gestational age!!"  I didn't dare tell him it was the raw/real milk .....food police would have arrested me.
7. Moroni has learned to make really awesome yogurt!!!   So now we don't buy yogurt anymore.
All these things have changed our lives completely. We feel and live differently than I ever imagined.
It's difficult to maintain sometimes with the cow and chores and everything else, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
Peace and love to you all and I will try hard to do much better at posting.
Sue

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. I have heard some good things about the Do terra oils too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we go back to this time? I miss it. Stella was so small.

    ReplyDelete